Thursday, August 06, 2009

isn't this ironic? don't u think?

ever since i moved to wellington last year i have been looking for a job related to my degree.

but without any luck. until now...6 more months before i head back to malaysia for good since prospects of staying here is not very good.

saw this ad about a job i like and decided to apply for fun. and who da hell would have known i was asked to go for an interview? so i happily agree to go for the interview and the back of my head i already know what the outcome of the interview will be: another failed attempt.

but wait. hell no. it was more like a job offer. i went to meet up with the manager and he was quite nice. we went to a cafe and had coffee. he told me what he wanted me to do, what are my tasks and projects and told me about the pay and everything. it wasn't like a interview at all. more like go and have coffee and tell me more about myself. by the way besides the experience, skills and a good reference from my ex-supervisor, he actually remembered me. he remembered me because this is the 3rd time applying for a job at his place. talked about
persistence and patience..haha..

so what i'm trying to say now is ...my headache begins...

the big question is..should i stay or should i leave?

the main reason for me going back to malaysia is family and friends. but i do have plans as well when i'm back at malaysia. maybe look for a job to fund my travels(japan/europe) and eventually coming back to nz to study for a year and excel in my new career. (something super exciting and also dangerous..don't ask me what but i got my mother's approval..haha)

if i do take the job, my plans might be put on hold and i will be away from my family and friends. i might be all alone here but i can further my career in a job that is related to my degree. the pay might be better and working conditions are better as well.

i just talked to my mom and aunt for like an hour seeking advice. but at the end of the conversation, they are very supportive in whatever i do and told me to do what i want. it is all up to me.

what should i do? what should i DO!

after all that is said, i know the final decision is all entirely up to me. but what if i make the wrong decisions? there is something in me telling me that i'm running out of time. i have so many things that i want to do and i feel if i delay them any longer i might forget about them and eventually be sucked into the boring cycle of working life behind a desk just doing what i need to do to survive. i want to live. i want to be happy i want to live life to the fullest. i want to see the world and push my limits and boundaries.

help!! what should i do?

9 Comments:

At 7/8/09 2:11 AM , Blogger Jasemaine said...

Darren, do what your heart desires and follow your dreams. Your family and friends will be happy if you're happy doing what you love to do. I understand the feeling of wanting to be with and spending more time with your family because time passes by quickly... that's what happened to me recently as well. I almost quit my job because desperately felt that I needed to help my dad with his business. Instead, he told me he wanted me to stay where I am and grow there first. When he saw me doing well in the company, for the first time in my life, he said to me out loud, 'I'm proud of you you know'. That's when I realize parents will be more happy and comforted to see their kids excel in what they like to do. Ultimately, the decision that gives your peace in your heart and mind is the right way to go.

Just a lil' two cents from Jase...

hugs hugs

 
At 7/8/09 10:41 AM , Blogger Darren said...

thank you jase! i really appreciate your advice. =)

it must have moved you when your dad said 'I'm proud of you you know'...that must be a touching moment..=)

thanks again jase. i have to think it over the weekend. =)

 
At 8/8/09 1:06 AM , Blogger Ying Swan said...

u know i find it so odd that so many of us are in the same situation. plans. plans for wat? they get re-written all the time. smtg comes up, they change in a sec. so frustrating right?

i'm really not in a position to advice u on which side to choose
but i don't believe this

"...eventually be sucked into the boring cycle of working life behind a desk just doing what i need to do to survive."

just because you're a doer.

i truly think u can balance both out. it is what u wanted afterall, pushing boundaries and challenging yourself to fulfill everything, including family time.

as long as you're determined i'm sure you can do it.

i know, easier said than done.

how do u feel about the job tho? are u excited about it?

 
At 8/8/09 10:55 PM , Blogger Darren said...

haha swan...i guess u are right..plans changes all the time. but i think i have made my decision. i will follow me heart and go back to msia. coz that is what i feel most happy. =)

i feel really happy about the job and maybe i over reacted because it is so hard to find a job here...so after like 1 year and i finally can get a job and they willing to hire me and pay is not bad...of course i super excited..but after much thinking... i think family is much more important. work anywhere also u can get. as long u good worker sure got job. =) thanks swan for yr advice!

 
At 10/8/09 10:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey D,

bummer, I understand how you feel like you totally pysche yourself up to go home! daydream about what your gonna do or want to do and then something like this comes up.

I think, why don't you try it! A new experience. If you don't like it just quit take it as another opportunity.

Heh but that's just me.

I miss home :(
-audz

 
At 11/8/09 7:48 AM , Anonymous Net said...

dai lan..life's really ironic huh...you expect one thing..then next minute..something else happens. it's life's irony that makes life happening.

my 2 cents..
take the job. but go back to msia in Dec..since you've already paid for it. then come back with the mindset that this a new challenge for now. You're not being obligated to stay. But it's just another stepping stone that was thrown in at the last minute to give you a little more time. Life's too short, yes..but life's also expensive now. lol you want to fund your europe/japan trip..NZD is better than RM.

opportunity awaits..give yourself a year. by this time next year, rethink your situation. you're never too young to live life to the fullest..this is just part of the process of finding your purpose.

and if your boring working life cycle starts to unfold..then you know what to do. =)

hope you find what you're looking for soon. hugs and all the best!

 
At 11/8/09 8:56 PM , Blogger Darren said...

thanks audrey! but i think i decided liao. me wanna go home lar. here or msia...it is still a job..no biggie. =)

net..thanks for your advice too! if i do get the job i will work and see how everything goes. when i go back msia maybe i dont want to come back to nz leh? but NZD might pull me back here..if i want to travel. =)

 
At 14/8/09 1:56 AM , Blogger Natalie said...

heyhey!

congrats on the job offer! sure does feel good eh? hehehe..anyway..glad to hear you've finally come to a decision..personally, i think u've made a good and wise choice! :)

takes a lot to turn down a good job opportunity like that..but it's not for nothing..family is indeed important..and a lot of people forget about that nowadays because they get so caught up in the ratrace..so ur a very hao soon young man! :)

life is short..and you're very blessed to have ur parents still around..so cherish it and make the most out of it :) like u said..job anytime and anywhere also can find..but family..u can't..so wishing u all the best yea! :) come to akl and visit before u leave! :)

 
At 15/8/09 5:12 PM , Blogger Darren said...

hey nat! yeah i think spending time with family is pretty important and thanks for your advice too. i try to be Hao soon lar..but i'm not that hao soon lar...u must ask my mom..heheh =)

will surely be up in akl before i chiao. =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home